Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Celebrating 1 year

I tried to think of ways to celebrate my bandaversary. But only one came to mind... I wanted to eat at a buffet! I was so excited to go. I haven't been to a buffet in probably 2 years. My hubby and I drove about 30 miles to get to the Golden Corral, which use to be my absolute favorite place to go when I lived in the south. It's all you can eat and the dessert table is always endless.

Anyhow... It was a Thursday night and it was packed. The line was out the door. Juan didn't want to wait, but it was my day and well... I made him. So after 20 minutes in line, we got our plates and sat down.

As I went to get my food, I was overwhelmed with joy. I just knew dinner was going to be fabulous. I got a little bit of this and a little bit of that. And as I started to eat, I realized this food was disgusting. My meat tasted like rubber, the jalapeno fish tasted like sugar, the mashed potatoes were so salty, the green bean casserole was flavorless. The only thing I liked were the onion rings, the tarter sauce, and the banana pudding...

I was bummed. Thank goodness I didn't have to pay full price for that meal. As we got into the car, I told my husband I felt empty. He asked if I got enough to eat. I told him I was full, but I felt empty. We talked about it on the way home. I realize I don't see food the same as before. Before, I would eat to feel full and to get my money's worth. Now, it isn't about being full. I realize that food doesn't comfort me the way it used to. Today, food only satisfies my hunger not my soul.

So, as the next year of my journey continues, I will remember this experience and what it taught me... food only satisfies my hunger not my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment